Experience the transformative power of Orthokeratology at Vision Camberwell, your trusted destination in Melbourne.
Say goodbye to glasses and daytime contact lenses as you explore the convenient and non-surgical alternative that corrects your vision while you sleep.
Unlock the freedom and clarity you deserve with Orthokeratology (OrthoK) at Vision Camberwell.
What is Orthokeratology?
FIG 1. NO LENS
FIG 2. LENS FITTED
FIG 3. OVERNIGHT WEAR
FIG 4. LENS REMOVED
Orthokeratology, also known as OrthoK, is an innovative, non-surgical method of vision correction.
This unique treatment involves the use of custom-designed, corneal reshaping lenses worn overnight, eliminating the need for glasses or daytime contact lenses.
OrthoK is a versatile treatment method, successfully used to correct short-sightedness, astigmatism, and Vision Camberwell is one of the few places that can correct long-sightedness with OrthoK.
Orthokeratology vs LASIK
OrthoK and LASIK both aim to improve vision, but they differ significantly in their approach. Unlike LASIK, which is a surgical procedure that permanently changes the eye’s structure, OrthoK is completely non-surgical and reversible. It works by gently reshaping the cornea using specially designed contact lenses that are worn during sleep.
These differences make OrthoK a preferred option for those who prefer a non-invasive solution or are not suitable candidates for surgery.
OrthoK treatment involves the prescription of specially designed contact lenses that you wear overnight. These lenses gently reshape your cornea as you sleep, allowing for clear, corrected vision during the day. The treatment is entirely non-invasive and can be adjusted or stopped at any time.
OrthoK Lenses: Vision Correction Without Surgery
OrthoK lenses offer an attractive alternative for those seeking a non-surgical solution for vision correction. OrthoK lenses are custom-designed for each patient and work by reshaping the cornea overnight, correcting a range of vision conditions, including short-sightedness, long-sightedness and astigmatism.
What To Expect From OrthoK?
OrthoK fittings are successfully performed here for clients as young as five years old, addressing conditions like short-sightedness, long-sightedness, and astigmatism.
Here’s what the process looks like in four simple steps:
- Eye Assessment: OrthoK treatment starts with an initial consultation where your eyes will be assessed for suitability.
- Receive Custom Made Lenses: If you qualify for OrthoK, custom lenses will be designed specifically for your eyes.
- Learn How To Use Your OrthoK Lenses: You’ll be guided on how to use and care for the lenses, ensuring maximum comfort and effectiveness.
- Rapid Vision Improvement: Typically, improvements in vision can be noticed after just three nights of lens wear, with optimal vision achieved within one to two weeks.
Orthokeratology Melbourne – FAQs
What is Orthokeratology (OrthoK)?
Orthokeratology, or OrthoK, is a non-surgical method of vision correction that involves wearing custom-designed, corneal reshaping lenses overnight. This treatment can effectively correct a range of vision conditions such as short-sightedness, long-sightedness, and astigmatism without the need for glasses or daytime contact lenses.
How does OrthoK work?
OrthoK works by gently reshaping your cornea—the clear front surface of your eye—as you sleep. This is achieved using specially designed, comfortable contact lenses. Upon waking and removing the lenses, your cornea retains its new shape for the day, allowing you to have clear vision without additional eyewear.
Who is a suitable candidate for OrthoK?
OrthoK can be an effective treatment for people suffering from myopia (short-sightedness), hyperopia (long-sightedness), and astigmatism. It is suitable for individuals of all ages, including children. However, not everyone will be a suitable candidate. A consultation with our industry leading optometrists, will help determine if OrthoK is the right choice for you.
How long does it take for OrthoK to work?
Typically, improvements in vision can be noticed after a couple of nights of lens wear. Optimal vision is often achieved within one to two weeks.
Is OrthoK safe?
Yes, OrthoK is a safe, non-surgical approach to vision correction when supervised by our trained professionals. However, like all contact lens use, good hygiene practices are essential to avoid infections.
Is the effect of OrthoK permanent?
No, the vision-correcting effects of OrthoK are not permanent. If you stop wearing the lenses, your cornea will gradually return to its original shape, and your vision will revert to its previous state.
What's the difference between OrthoK and LASIK?
Both OrthoK and LASIK aim to correct vision, but in different ways. LASIK is a surgical procedure that permanently changes the structure of the eye, while OrthoK is a non-surgical, reversible process that involves reshaping the cornea using specially designed contact lenses worn during sleep.
How can I start my OrthoK treatment?
To start OrthoK treatment, you need to schedule a consultation at Vision Camberwell. He will assess your vision, discuss your needs, and determine if you’re a suitable candidate for OrthoK treatment.
What are the next steps?
It’s time to take the next steps towards improving your vision.
Here’s what you can do:
- Schedule a Consultation: Contact Vision Camberwell to schedule a consultation. Our optometrists will thoroughly evaluate your condition, discuss your concerns, and recommend appropriate treatment options including your suitability for OrthoK
- Ask Questions: During your consultation, feel free to ask any questions you may have. Our optometrists are industry leaders, and are here to address your concerns and provide you with the information you need to make informed decisions about your vision and eye health.
- Follow the Treatment Plan: After your consultation, your optometrist will develop a personalised treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. It is essential to follow the recommended treatment plan diligently. This will include wearing custom designed contact lenses, attending regular follow-up appointments, and adopting certain lifestyle adjustments.
- Attend Follow-up Appointments: Regular follow-up appointments are crucial for monitoring your progress and making any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan. These appointments allow our optometrists to assess the effectiveness of the treatment and address any concerns or questions you may have.
- Maintain Good Eye Health Practices: Alongside the prescribed treatment, it is important to maintain good overall eye health. Protect your eyes from excessive UV exposure by wearing sunglasses and using protective eyewear when necessary. Follow proper eye hygiene practices, such as avoiding rubbing your eyes and keeping them clean. Additionally, maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating a balanced diet and staying hydrated.
- Contact Vision Camberwell for Support: If you have any questions, concerns, or experience changes in your symptoms, don’t hesitate to reach out to Vision Camberwell. Our team of optometrists are dedicated to providing ongoing support and guidance throughout your OrthoK treatment journey.